Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cleanin' Out My Closet

You know those days when you're doing something you've done a dozen times, but it leads to an epiphany? Well, I had one of those epiphanies today while cleaning out my closet.

My brain ran the usual track of, "Well, you went shopping and have a couple new shirts to hang up, but you're out of hangers... aka you have too many clothes and will never be able to wear all of these in a million years." I agreed with my brain, and began to stare at my clothing to decide who wasn't worthy anymore. As I began to pull a few items, my brain continued thinking (big surprise, right?). It said, "You know, if you only bought a couple things here and there when you went shopping instead of buying as much as your bank account allows, you would have a skinnier closet and a fatter wallet."

As usual, I tried to suppress my brain's line of rational thinking and told it to shut up because I'm young, and need to be fashionable and broke, or I wouldn't meet the status quo. But this time it was more persistent. The more my brain spat out logic, the less it sounded like my brain and the more it sounded like my mother's voice. Now I know I'm eventually going to turn into a modified version of my mother someday, but it is just happening too quickly. We have a very similar sense of humor and our views on a lot of world and life issues are also the same, which makes sense because she has always been my role model. But as my brain became my mother's voice of reason, I realized just how smart and logical it was actually sounding. Why should I spend all my spare cash on clothes I am only going to wear a couple times because they're cute, but they don't actually fit right? And why do I need to hold onto older clothes that I will never consider wearing again?

I am young and sometimes fashion possesses my brain and steals from my wallet, but I know I can't keep up the "I'm still young and can make mistakes" charade forever. My mom always told me to make things simple, and I always make them complicated. I think it's time I actually put some effort into listening to what she's been saying. Now, I will never promise to change the way I think and act overnight, because I'd be lying to everyone, but I really do need to start growing up and make my life more simple. If not only for my own sanity, but also for my mother's.

At least I know that if my mother has always been right and I'm turning into her, then someday I can always be right, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment